Friday 10 November 2017

Endgame Mate

PLAYED in my first Royal Beacon Seniors, which ended today.
The congress, held at the Royal Beacon Hotel in Exmouth, Devon, is divided into players aged 65+ and 50-64 - colloquially known as the Senior and Junior Wrinklies.
Royal Beacon...stylish venue
I scored +2=2-1 for a grading performance of 184 (15 over my ECF of 169).
None of the games was especially noteworthy, but I did have a neat endgame finish in round four.
Position after White's 33rd move in Spanton (169) - Philip Kennedy (158*)
Black is lost whatever he plays, but PK's choice of the active ...
33...Kf5?
...walked into a mating net. The game finished:
34.Kf3 Rf7 35.g4#
34...h5 would only have delayed the mate after 35.h3, while 34...Rg8 would have lost instantly to 35.Rf6#.
*PK does not have a currently published ECF grade, so I have converted his Fide elo.

No comments:

Post a Comment