Tuesday 25 September 2018

Missed Opportunity

FLUFFED a golden chance to claim a notable scalp in round four of the Highlands Open in Trebic, Czech Republic.
I had black against International Master Josef Pribyl, after whom the Pribyl Pirc (1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 c6!?) is named.
I sacrificed the exchange to gain light-square control and attacking chances, reaching the following position after JP had played 29.Ra1-e1:
Black to play and win
****
****
****
****
****
****
I played 29...Nxb3?, which felt wrong, but I became materialistic and anyway could find nothing better.
After 30.Nxe4 fxe4? (30...Rxe4 is better, but I had missed White's next as it had been impossible for so long because my bishop covered the key square) 31.Qxg2 c6 32.Rxe4 Rxe4 33.Qxe4 Nxd2 34.Qxd3, the position is roughly equal.
Or at least it would have been if I had played 34...Qxf4.
Instead, I played 34...Qxd3?, and was ground down in a long ending after 35.Rad3 Nxc4 36.Rd7+
Going through the game later with Ian Heppell, the latter found 29...Nf3+!
I had rejected it because it seemingly lost two pieces for a rook, but in fact the move wins instantly, eg 30.Rxf3 Bxf3 31.Rxe8 Qxf4+ 32.Kg1 Qg3+, and mate next move.

No comments:

Post a Comment