Saturday 3 March 2018

Good Wörishofen

FOR the 13th year running, I played at the Bad Wörishofen chess festival in Bavaria, which finished today.
My score of +5=3-1 in the Open B (U2000) was good enough to share third-fourth place, gaining 27 Fide elo and 150 euros.
I finished third-fourth in the Open B, but my inferior tiebreak meant I missed out on collecting one of these trophies
Bad Wörishofen is an upmarket spa town that promotes an unusual form of hydrotherapy invented in the 19th century by a Catholic priest, Sebastian Kneipp.
There are statues and portraits of him all over the town, but because the scores of kneippanlages - I guess that should be kneippanlagen - are dependant on running water, the "cures" cannot be carried out in winter.
That's where chess helps fill the gap, and for nine days in the late winter/early spring, some 300+ chess players descend on the town, bringing much-appreciated off-season trade to Bad Wörishofen's hotels, bars and restaurants.
Chess figures in the entrance of the Hotel Adler, which has one of Bad Wörishofen's smartest restaurants

No comments:

Post a Comment