Thursday 11 April 2019

A Touch Of The Tartakowers

GRANDMASTER Savielly Tartakower is credited with giving a lecture tour in which he talked about the numerous tournaments he won, the great players he met and the interesting opening ideas he came up with.
But he used to admit to audiences, and I am paraphrasing, he had one big regret in chess: "I have never managed to beat a fully healthy opponent."
Tartakower's confession reminds me I have been on two sets of painkillers since my visit to A&E last week. One of the painkillers, Co-codamol, "may make you sleepy."
On the other hand I have not felt particularly tired during my games in the Jersey Open, although I have been yawning profusely immediately after them.
Today I have been given a compulsory bye, and I hope to get through the day without taking any painkillers, and to do the same tomorrow in preparation for round eight.
Of course I could stay off painkillers till the cows come home and perhaps not improve my chess.
Jersey cows in St Helier - the island's answer to Milton Keynes?

No comments:

Post a Comment