Wednesday 16 September 2020

Diced Chess (part two)

MY friend Tim Johnson insisted on an immediate rematch, and I was very happy to oblige.
As with the first game of Diced Chess, I will write light notes as the game goes along.
Spanton - Tim Johnson
1.(KP)d4 (QN)Nf6 2.(RR)Bg5
A Trompowsky! I am hoping to capture on f6 and withdraw the bishop to safety.
2...(NP)Ne4
The drawback with 2.Bg5 - at least at Diced Chess.
3.(KQ)Qd3 (BN)Nxg5 4.(RN)Nf3 (RP)e6!
As TJ observed, this gives some cover to the king's knight as well as opening diagonals for the king's bishop and queen.
5.(NN)Nxg5 --
Capturing a piece and getting to roll again as I moved with the piece doubly indicated by the dice.
6.(QQ)Qf3 --
Threatening mate and again forcing my opponent to skip a turn.
7.(RR)Qxf7#
The final position - perhaps my awarding an exclamation mark to Black's fourth (and last) move was too kind
Well, that was short but sweet (from my viewpoint). However, even I am forced to admit I was a trifle lucky with the dice.
If nothing else, the shortness of this game makes a big contrast to our first game.
Here is the game inputted to ChessBase: 1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 Ne4 3. Qd3 Nxg5 4. Nf3 e6 5. Nxg5 -- 6. Qf3 -- 7. Qxf7#
I believe I can now justly claim to be the undisputed champion of Diced Chess.

No comments:

Post a Comment