Monday 9 August 2021

Wrocław Summary

MY final score of +4=1-4 saw me lose 60.8 Fide elo - quite possibly probably my worst ever tournament performance.

Just as I had finished typing the above last night, and while I wallowed listening to "Greatest Songs of 1950s" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bds9jpIgIKc I received the following email from Joe Skielnik:

I think we have all suffered to some extent from what I believe is a serious fault in the rating system. I found that this had been raised on the ECF forum 
with the most interesting comments as follows:-

by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:40 pm

JustinHorton wrote: 
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:26 pm
I did raise the question of underrated juniors on here once before (albeit in the particular context of the effect of playing them on one's own rating) and my recollection is that I was informed that it was a non-issue.
FIDE weren't minded to do anything about it.

It's an underlying assumption in the mathematics underpinning Elo methods of rating that there's an underlying concept called "strength" which only changes slowly, also that the method gives a reliable estimate of the same. In the case of players, mostly juniors, whose standard of play improves rapidly, most rating systems struggle to cope. The FIDE system relies almost wholly on variable K factors, rather than the more radical ideas used in other adaptations of Elo methods.

Pitching more adults against juniors with outdated ratings would have the likely effect of deflating adult ratings. That can be seen in Senior events where those players who continue to play in Congresses and 4NCL can have lower ratings than those solely playing other veterans.

by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:07 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote: 
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:40 am
The solution is something we all know: organise more FIDE rated tournaments, with loads of adults.
Well, yes, but how many times is there any point in contunuing to state the obvious? If half of the victories scored by juniors over adults around the world were rated, the problem we keep discussing would not exist. Unfortunately, my guess is that for whatever reason 90 per cent go unreported.

FIDE is constantly being pressed to give juniors bonus rating points to compensate for the fact that most of their good results don't count, but surely the better solution is to report them and make them count.

I think the problem is that federations are generally funded by adults who prefer not to see their ratings damaged by losses, but in that case they should stop complaining about the inevitable consequence.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

What is interesting is that Nick Foulks is the chairman of the FIDE Commission that deals with ratings and he sounds like he is admitting that there is a problem which is unlikely to be corrected. I am not sure why he is quoting George Orwell unless his rating is 1984?

Joe

6 comments:

  1. Joe sent this follow-up email:

    I think Roger and Nick have explained why there is such a difference between national and FIDE ratings so the solution is obvious.... to merge both together. I will add this on the to do list after Covid and Global Warming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some countries (I think France is one of them) only use the Fide rating system. Having dual national and international ratings is a historical anomaly. You would hardly design such a system from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, you've been badly wounded and in need of mending. Come back to play in the ACO Seniors at the Fodele on 1 October. It will be full of battle scarred veterans from another century, many in bath chairs. There are 226 registrations at the last count - the latest English entry has yet to be added to the list - that now includes 16 English, one Irish, one Welsh and two Bermudians from the London area. You know how good the hotel is - just bring your own spoon! If you’re recovered enough, afterwards you can take off to Rhodes for the FIDE Amateurs which start on 16 October.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!
    ACO events are very tempting, but I have pencilled in Calvià in Mallorca, which runs from Oct 9-17. I stayed in Magaluf last year when it was deserted - just one hotel open, I was told - and I am interested to see what it is like when heaving.
    But frankly my main concern right now is trying to find somewhere to play in September (apart from weekenders).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could try this one
    https://chess-results.com/tnr564581.aspx?lan=1&turdet=YES
    https://xychess.org/
    Unfortunately it clashes with my jury service

    ReplyDelete
  6. That link does not seem to work, but hopefully the website can be found at https://xychess.org/
    Unfortunately it starts on Sat Sep 4, which would mean travelling on Fri Sep 3, which is only two days after I am due back from the Northumbria congress in Gateshead - doable, certainly, but I would feel a little guilty at having to tell my father I was off on yet another holiday!

    ReplyDelete