Monday 25 April 2022

Summing-Up Menorca

MY score of +4=1-2 saw me lose 15.2 Fide elo. I finished tied for 13th-19th (15th on tiebreak).
Joe Skielnik scored +4=2-1, losing 19.4 Fide elo. He finished tied for 5th-12th (7th on tiebreak), winning free entry to next year's tournament.
Ray Kearsley scored +3=3-1, losing 23 Fide elo. He finished tied for 13th-19th (18th on tiebreak).
Among the prizes in the U2000 were ones for the best players aged 50+ and 65+.
The latter prize (50 euros and a trophy) went to Ray, even though I finished above him on tiebreak.
When I pointed this out to the organisers, I was told the prize was for being "super" 65, ie older than 65.
I was told I did not qualify as my birthday is this year, but I would qualify next year, which I took to mean I had to be 66.
However, thinking about it last night I believe the problem is I entered the tournament before my 65th birthday in February, and so was placed in the 50+ group although my birthday should have seen me moved into the 65+ group.
Luckily I tend not to harbour grudges. 

2 comments:

  1. They’re stealing rating points from you! It seems ridiculous that you can score close to 65 per cent and still lose fifteen rating points! There are seven of us off to Kos next week to the fabulous Atlantica - Belvedere Hotel for the ACO World Amateurs. We can’t lose or gain FIDE points (the dispute saga continues) and the ECF still isn’t ready to rate international games.on the new system. Welcome to Kent by the way. I hope we’ll see you at St Mary Cray next season too.

    DG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on - I am very seriously thinking of playing in the ACO Amateur in Kos in October (having very much enjoyed the ACO Crete seniors event last June)

      Delete