Tuesday 5 July 2022

Final Thoughts On Kraków

THERE is an international airport at Kraków, which makes it an easy place to get to.
The congress had three main tournaments: open, U2200 and U1700.
Each consisted of nine rounds over eight days, with all but two rounds starting at 4pm.
The time control in the top two tournaments was 40 moves in 90 minutes, with 30 minutes to finish, and a 30-second increment from the start.
The U1700 had a time control of all moves in 90 minutes, with a 30-second increment from the start.
The venue - the congress has been held elsewhere in past years - was the Premier Kraków Hotel, which is very much on the outskirts of the city, about three miles from the old town.
Walking to and from the old town was fairly easy, despite the heat - temperatures reached well into the mid-30s - and there is a frequent bus.
I would have thought twice, at least, about staying at the venue if I had read some of the really bad reviews on Tripadvisor before arriving.
However I am glad I did not as my room was very good: excellent (and quiet) airconditioning, comfortable double-bed, consistent shower (if a little cramped) and a fridge.
Premier Kraków Hotel
The playing hall was also airconditioned, although it struggled to cope on the hottest days.
The main downsides were a fluctuating wifi in my room and a rather dispiriting breakfast, complete with powdered water passing as orange juice.
But the bottom line is I enjoyed myself, despite playing poorly, and would not hesitate to return.
Side-note one: Paul Stokes, Vic Rumsey and I had a bet of 10 zloty (about £2) on who would score the quickest win. Paul was the only winner in round one, his game finishing in 43 moves. I remarked that this was hardly setting the bar very high. In the event we only managed one more win between us, when I beat Vic in 59 moves in round eight, so Paul collected the winnings.
Side-note two: after the final round I walked into town and did not get back to the hotel until about 3.10, which was 10 minutes after the prize-giving was due to start. In fact, I was later told, it began 30 minutes late, and if I had gone I would have received the prize for best senior in the U2200 despite scoring only three points. I would have got what is called on the continent a "material" prize - in this case, I believe, a medallion and two carrier-bags of goodies - but the rules stated prizes were only distributed to those who attended the closing ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment