Saturday 1 April 2023

Team Player

WHEN I was working at The Sun I had the nickname - possibly one of many - of Team Spanton, given by the sub-editors because of the number of times I shared a byline with other writers.
At chess I have always felt that my performances when playing for a team, be it club or county, tend to be better than when playing as an individual.
I have had dramatic confirmation, at least partially, of that feeling while idly browsing the Central London League website this morning over breakfast in the arrivals area at Oslo airport.
On the left of the home page is a list of bookmarks, including "Find a Player."
Using that I quickly found I have played eight times for Battersea this season - three for the first team, five for the second - amassing a score of +5=2-1.
I calculate my rating performance in those games to be 2151, so maybe Team Spanton is not so far out.
Dream Team?

No comments:

Post a Comment