Wednesday 28 November 2018

"Impressive" Magnus

The world's best chess player (left)
SO, there I was enjoying a pint in Penderel's Oak, a Wetherspoon pub in Holborn, central London, when who should walk in but Magnus Carlsen?
Actually, I did not see him walk in - I was busy postmorteming two games from this night's London League division three match between Battersea 2 and Mushrooms 2.
With me was fellow-Battersea club member Paul Stokes - we had been sat on adjacent boards, and both drew our games against similar-strength opposition.
Anyway, Paul popped downstairs to the toilets, and I put my fleece on so we would be ready to leave when he got back.
It was then that I spotted Magnus, fresh from retaining his world championship title earlier this evening against Fabiano Caruana.
Magnus was sat at a nearby table enjoying a drink with two people who I took to be aides/friends/seconds - I probably should have recognised them, but didn't.
Paul returned from the loo and I got him to confirm my identification of Magnus, and then I went over armed with my smartphone.
I congratulated Magnus on his win, incidentally resting my right hand on what felt like a very expensive suit.
For want of anything better to say, I told Magnus: "A few years ago in Gausdal I lost to your father but beat your sister."
Magnus replied: "That's impressive" - and he wasn't being sarcastic!
But getting back to more important matters, my draw means my Battersea unbeaten streak has reached 18 games.
Updated statistics
Battersea 2018-19
Event...Colour...Grade...Opponent's Grade...Result
CLL.........B.........167................196...............…D

LL...…….B...…...167...………..159...………….D
CLL...…..B...…...167...………..161...………….W
CLL...…..B...…...167...………..190...………….D
LL...…….W...…..167...………..161...………….W
CLL...…..W...…..167...………..148...………….D

CLL...…..W...…..167...………..165...………….W

CLL...…..W...…..167...………..160...………….D
CLL...…..W...…..167...………..159...………….D
LL...…….B...…...167...………..168...………….D
Overall this season for Battersea I have scored +3=7-0 for a grading performance of 182.
In season 2017-18 I scored +10=8-9 for a grading performance of 175.

No comments:

Post a Comment