Thursday 26 April 2018

Bad Wiessee (part five)

DESPITE being on +1, I found myself paired in round six against a player with a Fide more than 200pts below mine.
It should not surprise any reader of this blog to learn I was completely lost - two pawns down, no compensation - in the late opening.
In desperation, I sacked a piece, winning my pawns back and getting vague attacking chances. For much of the rest of the game I was the equivalent of more than a rook down, according to Stockfish9, but my opponent chose several inferior moves and I eventually won an ending on move 51.
The weather turned miserable in Bad Wiessee overnight, and continued unseasonably cold, and rather wet, for much of today.
I guess this is as good a time as any to publish this:
SA leader Ernst Röhm was arrested here at Bad Wiessee's Hanselbauer Hotel - later renamed Lederer am See, and now largely derelict - on the Night of the Long Knives in 1934

No comments:

Post a Comment