Monday 23 April 2018

Bad Wiessee (part two)

AFTER yesterday's game, I walked round part of the Tegernsee lake to Rottach-Egern.
The church of St Laurentius is an obvious landmark while approaching Rottach-Egern along the lake-shore
As is common in Bavaria (and neighbouring Switzerland), footpath distances are usually given in hours and minutes rather than kilometres.
You soon work out how your walking pace compares with the 'official' one, and adjust accordingly. Bad Wiessee to Rottach-Egern, for example, is given as two hours, but proved considerably shorter for me (at least, it did on the way back, when I knew the direct route).
My round-three game today was against a player from the Kaiserslautern district of Rhineland-Palatinate. He had a Fide of 1824 but a German elo of 1634. I suspect the latter is more accurate - I won in 20 moves.
That gave me time to go for a slightly more ambitious walk before lunch, along Bad Wiessee's Panorama Wanderweg.
The name is a bit of a cheat as for most of the walk any view is obscured by tall pines, which help give a complete silence broken only by the occasional bird chirruping.
This was a great pleasure by itself, but I was eventually rewarded with a panoramic view.
My mobile-phone camera does not do justice to the view of Bad Wiessee from the town's Panorama Wanderweg

No comments:

Post a Comment