Saturday 24 December 2022

The Bells Ring Out For Christmas

ARRIVED at my hotel, which doubles as student accommodation for Alicante University, late in the afternoon, but early enough to stock up at the nearest supermarket.
Since I am staying on a room-only basis, it made sense to buy fruit and yogurt for breakfast tomorrow, although if last year is anything to go by there will be quite a few cafes and bars open on Christmas Day.
My room has a fridge, so nothing should go to waste.
The university, or at least the main campus and accommodation, is in San Vicente del Raspeig (Sant Vicent del Raspeig in Valencian), which is in the conurbation of the city of Alicante but just outside the city borders, about an hour's walk from the city centre.
The town's motto, Sequet però sanet, has an inspiring ring to it, although it roughly translates as Dry but healthy.
Flying left me feeling a little dry, so after dumping my shopping in my room I went to the nearby Bubbles Laundry Bar.
As the name implies, Bubbles is a place where you can have a drink (and food) while getting your laundry done 

I had no washing needs so settled for a bottle of 8.7% Blackbell Baltic Coffee Porter, brewed by Valencian-based Zeta Beer
I spent much of the evening walking around town, although many places closed early because it is Christmas Eve.
Christmas decorations are fewer than in Britain, and often more religiously themed

There was no doubting the religious intent behind these noisily ringing bells, calling the faithful to prayer

2 comments: