Sunday 29 January 2023

Lessons From Mariánské Lázně: Beware Complacency

IN round four I was under pressure for much of the game before swopping off into a fairly even ending.
Position after White played 35.Nc5-e6
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
White has the better minor piece for cooperating with a queen, but I felt my king was safe behind a barrier of black pawns.
In fact the king is technically in front of the barrier, but is behind the pawns from the viewpoint of the white queen and knight.
What I failed to properly consider is that the king only has three vacant squares to which it can potentially move - g7, g5 and h5 - and two of these are covered by the knight.
When a king has only one move, and that move would take it away from its pawn-cover, alarm bells should be ringing.
Unfortunately for me the bells only rang after I played 35...Qb4?? - several moves draw including, as my opponent pointed out, 35...a5 - and I had to spend a miserable minute or so waiting for White to double-check that Black cannot avoid mate after 36.Qd8.

No comments:

Post a Comment