Friday 24 March 2023

A Curate's Egg Of A Walk

ARRIVED at my Watford Gap hotel too early to check in, and the place does not have a restaurant. 
However, as might be expected from a location on the M1, it is bang next-door to some of the usual suspects, including a Costa, a McDonald's and a Leon.
After lunch, and dumping most of my luggage in my room, I asked reception about getting to the Mercure at Daventry, where the chess starts tomorrow. 
I was told it was not really practical to walk, and anyway was five or six miles.
But the sun was shining, at least in spells, and Google Maps reckoned the distance, by foot, was four miles.
Crossing the M1 was easy enough, and the route soon took me along a charming 'river' that turned out to be part of the Grand Union Canal.
I recognised its true nature when I reached Watford Locks, a group of seven locks I remembered from passing them when walking from London to Edinburgh for the G8 summit in 2005. 
Unfortunately the Google Maps route then took me along the A5, which, to say the least, is not pedestrian-friendly. 
It was a relief to turn off onto a B road, and even more of a relief when I reached the village of Welton.
It began to rain, but I did not really mind as from this point Northamptonshire County Council, or whoever else is responsible, has caught up with the 19th century and installed pavements.
I am now enjoying a glass of merlot in the foyer of the Mercure - glad I made the walk, but doubtful if I will do it again ... unless the weather becomes particularly splendid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment