Friday 25 January 2019

Let It Snow

IT snowed overnight in Mariánské Lázně and has been steadily snowing for most of the morning.
The most noticeable effect has been in narrowing part of the Úšovický stream in the centre of town that had been flowing fairly freely.
Snow and ice encroach on the Úšovický
But all is cosy inside the venue, the Hotel Polonia, which occupies a prime spot opposite the town's central park.
Built in 1838, it suffers from faded grandeur, but is good value - apart from abysmal wifi - in a town that is expensive by non-Prague standards (too many well-heeled German and Russian tourists).
The playing hall before the start of round eight
My game today was decided by a ridiculous blunder just out of the opening that turned what Stockfish10 reckons was a win into a loss.
White to make his 14th move in Spanton (1943) - Ada van der Giessen (1809)
Simple and sensible is 14.Bb3, when Stockfish10 reckons White's advantage is worth more than two pawns. I have my doubts that White is quite that much better, and certainly Komodo9 views my position less favourably.
Whatever the truth, I came up with 14.Nd5?? The idea is that 14...Qxc4?? fails to 15.Nf6+ Kh8 16.Nxe8, while 14...Qxd2?? loses to 15.Nf6+ Kh8 16.Bxd2! Rd8 17.Ba5. But as soon as I moved I saw the reply 14...Nxd5 (0-1, 42 moves)

No comments:

Post a Comment