Monday 4 November 2019

Not So Funny

I REACHED the following position this afternoon in round one of the 50+ (junior wrinklies) section of the Royal Beacon Seniors at Exmouth, Devon.
Black has just played 46...Nd4-e6 in Susan Selley (100) - Spanton (168)
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
At this point, rather than moving, my opponent offered a draw. I was so surprised that I am afraid to say I burst out laughing, and immediately said: "No!"
This is wrong on two counts: first, if someone offers a draw before moving, you should ask to see the person's move before deciding whether to accept the draw offer; second, and more important, I should not have laughed.
In my defence, I can point to the fact that I was almost two hours ahead on the clock (the time control was 40 moves in two hours followed by the rest of the game in one hour), and my advantage was so big that Komodo10 reckons I am the equivalent of about a rook ahead, while Stockfish10 reckons this is a gross underestimate, putting me at more than +7.5.
No doubt I have behaved in a similarly deluded way at the board when facing a much stronger opponent, but I cannot remember anyone being so rude as to actually start laughing (at least not externally).

No comments:

Post a Comment