Saturday 18 January 2020

What A Difference A Year Makes

… 52 little weeks.
Arrived yesterday in the Czech spa town of Mariánské Lázně, still better known in much of Europe under its old German name, Marienbad.
Last year the place was covered in snow and we were promised a temperature high for the tournament of -2C
This year there is no snow and the temperature is forecast to reach the giddy heights of 3C by next Saturday.

Austria-Hungary's Franz Joseph and Britain's Edward VII in 2019

Frankie and Eddie in 2020

This winter scene in a hotel lobby is the nearest there is to snow this year
Being British, I spent last night in Churchill's bar and the even-less subtly named Irish Pub. Some things don't change wherever you go.
But one thing that has changed is the venue for the Mariánské Lázně chess festival, part of the CzechTour.
It is normally held in the Hotel Polonia which, to say the least, has been living on past glories.
The hotel has a great view overlooking Mariánské Lázně's central park, but has now been closed for much-needed refurbishment.
Instead the festival, which consists of three all-play-all norm tournaments, an open, a seniors (50+), a rapid and a blitz, has moved to the four-star Hotel Continental.
This does not have the same great location as the Polonia, but in every other respect is much superior - and all for €46.50 a night, about £40 at the current exchange rate (less 5% for me as it is my second tournament in the 2019-20 CzechTour).
My room even has a dressing-gown and slippers - it has been a long time since I stayed in a place that posh!
Dressing down - me last night
I am playing in the seniors. It starts this afternoon and has the same format as the open, ie nine rounds over eight days, with Tuesday being the double-round day.
Last year at this time my rating was 1943, but I turned in a very disappointing performance of 1827. This year my rating is 1854 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment