Tuesday 20 July 2021

Good News ... Bad News

AFTER playing juniors in my first five games at Basel, I was paired with a grown-up for the sixth and final round today ... but my opponent, from Portugal, failed to show.
That meant I finished on 3.5pts (+1=3-1 and a default), which saw me lose exactly six Fide elo.
Meanwhile, in the early hours this morning, when I could not sleep, I watched some baseball, using the breaks between innings to fill in my passenger locator form for my return to England.
This included booking a covid Day 2 test, which set me back £75.

2 comments:

  1. Have a safe journey home. I’ve another week in Rhodes. I presently stand on 2.5/4 as the 24th rated player out of 25 I’m happy with that. Dreadful behaviour your opponent not turning up for the last round. In your honour for attempting to watch last night’s MLB (and Americans don’t understand five day test matches with just two innings) I shall wear my Minnesota Twins shirt tomorrow - it’s not been a good year. My daughter refused to buy it for my birthday last year, she argued (rightly?) “Who’d want to wear a shirt with that logo”. Well me actually. So I had to buy it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from a fellow baseball fan!
    I wish I could sleep better at night, but it's a great comfort to know that if I do wake up in the early hours and cannot get back to sleep, there's a good chance I can watch the Cardinals.
    Have you anything else lined up after Rhodes? I have entered Tim Wall's Northumbria congress towards the end of August, but hope to go elsewhere before then.

    ReplyDelete