Monday 12 July 2021

Swiss Prep Update

MADE it to Victoria, where the best rate I could get for £1 was 1.2367 Swiss francs.
This compares with an online mid-rate of 1.257754 from XE, so I did not do too badly.
Around the corner was a Post Office exchange bureau offering a miserly 1.186.
On the way I called in at the Daunt bookshop in Cheapside, without finding anything I wanted, but at Waterstones in Trafalgar Square I bought Kapka Kassabova's travel book Border - A Journey To The Edge Of Europe (Granta £9.99).
I am still little more than halfway through Eric Newby's Round Ireland In Low Gear, so I should have enough reading to tide me over my trip to Basel, especially as I expect much of my time to be taken up with chess. 

2 comments:

  1. For my trip to Rhodes on Saturday I've got Stuart Turton's "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" and Kevin Thurlow's "The History of Chess in the English Civil Service", well there's a difficult to spot photograph of me on the cover so it's a must have. Someone mentioned Paul Temple at the 4NCL Congress yesterday, so I've downloaded the BBC's performance of "Paul Temple and the Sullivan Affair" and I also downloaded ISIHAC Volumes 8 & 10. I'm ready to go. By the way I've found the John Lewis Bank tend to do the best tourist exchange rates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting stuff, but not so sure about the John Lewis Bank - its current rate for pounds to Swiss francs is 1.2227. That's better than the Post Office, but not as good as Victoria. Then again, Lloyds Bank is currently offering a feeble 1.1619 - even worse than the Post Office. Lloyds tells me this is "competitive."

    ReplyDelete