Thursday 2 September 2021

Lessons From Northumbria II

I WAS offered two draws during the congress which, considering how badly I was playing, may have been two more offers than I deserved.
In my round-two game I had to accept the draw offer as I was totally lost, but in round four I declined and went on to win.
Both draw offers were made while my clock was running, which is against the rules (admittedly one offer was made soon after my opponent had pressed the clock).
I have covered this before, but here is how to properly offer a draw:
1. Make a move.
2. Say words to the effect of: "Would you like a draw?"
3. Press the clock.
4. Write the move on your scoresheet and follow it with (=), including the brackets.
It is also legal to offer a draw before making a move, but is usually unwise since your opponent can wait to see your move before deciding to accept or decline.
And speaking of declining a draw, there are two main ways to do it:
1. Say words to the effect of: "No thanks, I want to play on."
2. Make a move.

2 comments:

  1. Want to learn chess? Then you are at the right place Chesseasy.com is here to teach you chess for beginners. Our course is specially designed for beginners to learn chess easily online. Hurry up and learn chess today only from our chess professionals.

    online chess classes for beginners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you learn them how to properly offer a draw!

    ReplyDelete