Thursday 31 August 2023

Travelbodge

I THOUGHT today might be difficult, especially as I wanted to catch one of the few direct trains from Paddington to Torquay.
At the London station I hooked up with Ray Kearsley, who on my advice was also traveling two days early to beat the rail strikes.
Somewhat surprisingly, we were able to get a four-seat table to ourselves in the 09:27's unreserved carriage, which meant a comfortable journey to Devon.
Ray is staying at a hotel that is part of the complex where the tournament is being held, but I booked into the Travelodge, which turns out to be much nearer Torre station than Torquay.
That is fine, but I am far from pleased to discover the hotel charges an extra £3 a day for using its wifi.
The Holiday Inn, among other chains, used to impose this type of 'hidden charge', but stopped long ago.
Not only that, but to add insult to injury, the Travelodge wifi is feeble in the extreme.
Coming across this fondly remembered Torquay curiosity cheered me up a bit

No comments:

Post a Comment