Tuesday 4 July 2023

Lessons From Prague 3

IN round three I had a golden opportunity with white to beat a player rated almost 300 elo higher.
White to play and win
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
White is a pawn up and has attacking chances against the black king.
Accordingly I played 26.Qd4? I knew Black could meet this with 26...Rf7, but I reasoned an exchange of rooks would not harm my position.
Stockfish15.1 and Komodo14.1 reckon this is good enough for a win, but later positional inaccuracies meant the game was drawn.
Instead I could have won on the spot with 26.g4, after which the black queen has only one move that does not leave it en prise, namely 26...Qb1+.
But then comes 27.Rc1, and if 27...Qxb3 then 28.Qd4 leads to mate, eg 28...Rf7 29.Rxf7 Kxf7 30.Qf6+ Kg8 31.Bh6 etc.
Admittedly 26.g4 is slightly counterintuitive at first sight as White moves a pawn in front of the king and weakens the white position on the f file, but these factors are trivial when compared with the benefits of the move.
LESSON: when an enemy piece, especially a major one, is short of squares, be extra sure to look at ways of hitting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment