Sunday 23 July 2023

So This Is Leicester

BACK in 2005 I walked from London to Edinburgh in 22 days.
Much of the early part of the route took me along the Grand Union Canal.
I remember taking the Leicester branch, but am fairly sure I turned off - the exact route was planned for me by a former member of the SAS - before reaching the city.
So it will be interesting to see what I missed back then as I had never been to Leicester before, nor have I since.
Today's first impressions are promising, helped by my hotel being less than five minutes' walk from the chess championships' venue at De Montfort University.
Not only am I very close, but, as I discovered this afternoon after arriving at my hotel, the short walk takes me through Castle Gardens.
As the name implies, Castle Gardens is on land that used to be part of Leicester Castle

It is a pity the sun was not shining to bring out the best of the gardens, but they are attractive anyway

The four-acre site is popular with dog-walkers and other locals who appreciate greenery just a few hundred yards from the city centre

No comments:

Post a Comment