Sunday 9 July 2023

Lessons From Prague 8

IN round eight with Black I faced the Grand Prix Attack in the Sicilian, reaching the following position after the moves 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.f4 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Bc4 e6 6.0-0 Nge7 7.Qe1!? Nd4!? 8.Nxd4 cxd4 9.Nb5!?
How should Black proceed?
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
I played 9...0-0?!, after which 10.Nd6 (the game saw White push his e pawn) is at least equal.
What Black should play is 9...d5 10.exd5 exd5, which I rejected because if White captures for a second time on d5 and Black replies 11...Qxd5??, White wins with 12.Nc7+.
I missed, although I knew the idea from similar lines in the Sicilian, that after 11.Bxd5?? Black has the zwischenzug 11...a6, winning one of White's fifth-rank pieces.
LESSON: I knew the right idea in the diagrammed position, but failed to recall it at the board. Nevertheless Black's ninth move was obviously going to be critical, and it was incumbent on me to devote enough time to properly work out what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment