Monday 27 November 2023

Be Careful What You Wish For

AFTER six rounds at Cap Negret, and with two rounds to go, I was having a reasonable tournament.
I was in with a chance of a prize, and my hopes were raised by being drawn in round seven against an opponent rated 238 points lower.
Gradually I outplayed him in the middlegame and reached what Stockfish16 and Komodo14.1 reckon is a positionally won game.
However I misplayed it and had to acquiesce to a completely drawn rook-and-pawn ending.
But I was desperate to avoid a draw, eventually reaching the following position.
White has just played 43.Kh4
The white king is very restricted, and I have a protected passed pawn.
But none of this is of much consequence in the face of White's well-supported passer.
Black draws comfortably enough with and only-move, 43...Rc7, meeting 44.b6 with 44...Rb7.
But clearly that line gives Black no winning chances, so I played 43...Kf5??
After the forcing 44.b6 Rc8 45.b7 Rc8 46.Kg3 Black is completely lost.
I played 46...Ke6, vaguely threatening the b pawn, and was lucky to get a half-point after 47.Kh4 Kf5 48.Kg3.
Instead 47.Rb6+ wins easily as 47...Kf5 48.Kf3 leaves Black in zugzwang, while 47...Kd5 48.Kh4 Ke4 49.Kg5 Kf3 50.Rb4 is also hopeless for Black.
My wish to avoid a draw was nearly granted, but thankfully I had a lucky escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment