Sunday 28 April 2024

Lessons From Tegernsee IX

IN round nine my opponent shocked me - well, surprised me, at least - when, after 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 e6, he thought for quite some time and then uncorked 3.Bg5!?
I thought the move was quite amateurish, but, as I pointed out in my notes to the game, the move has an impressive pedigree, having been played by world champions Lasker, Petrosian and Carlsen.
If Black replies 3...Nf6, we have a Torre Attack.
I preferred 3...Be7, after which the natural 4.Bxe7 helps Black's development but swops off Black's better bishop.
Stockfish16 and Komodo14.1 reckon Black has already equalised, but of course there is lots of play in the position.

CONCLUSION: modern chess, even at the highest level, as exemplified by Magnus Carlsen, often sees White heading for positions that, while objectively offering little from a theoretical perspective, put both players on their own resources, and if White happens to feel more comfortable in the position arising, that may be as good as having a theoretical edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment