Saturday 27 April 2024

Lessons From Tegernsee VIII

IN round eight my higher-rated opponent, with white, offered a draw after six innocuous moves.
There were many reasons in favour of me accepting, including: he was higher rated, I was tired, I had black, and I was having a good tournament andso  did not need to chase lost rating points.
But I played on, losing a very interesting game in 57 moves.
I did not, and do not, regret my decision, not least because I travel hundreds of miles to play chess, not to not-play chess.

CONCLUSION; such decisions come down to personal choice. I have no doubt which way my decision will almost certainly go in such cases, but I would suggest it is a good idea to come to the board having decided beforehand what to do if an early draw offer is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment