Thursday 20 June 2024

Getting There (Bischofsgrün)

I CAUGHT KLM's 10:00 flight from London City, changing at Amsterdam for a German Airways' connection to Nürnberg (aka Nuremberg).
The latter flight was about an hour late taking off, which was just as well as the schedule was tight.
From Nürnberg I caught the city's underground to the main train station, changing there for an overground train to Bayreuth.
This part of the trip was quite a bargain, thanks to Nürnberg's integrated transport system  - 14.50 euros for a journey that was about 70 miles (113km) as the crow flies.
Unfortunately the overground train, unbeknown to me, split in half at the first station it came to, and naturally I was in the wrong part - not only that, but I was at the end furthest from the right part.
However, I managed to dash along the platform, with luggage at al, and board the Bayreuth-bound section just in time. 
From Bayreuth I took a taxi, which made up for the trains by costing 60 euros before a tip was added, arriving at Hotel Kaiseralm, the venue for the tournament, at 17:30.
The hotel is outside of Bischofsgrün, and thus somewhat isolated, but a daily 20-minute walk (each way) to the nearest supermarket and cafes will probably do me good.

No comments:

Post a Comment