Sunday 24 March 2024

Promises, Promises

MENZIES International, who handle luggage for British Airways, promised to phone me as soon as my delayed bag arrived.
The point was my airport hotel was less than a five-minute walk from the terminal, so it would be easier - and quicker - for me to collect the bag from their rep.
The plane with my bag on was due to land at about 20:30, but, rather than wait in my room, I went to Arrivals, had something to eat, and waited ... and waited ... and waited.
All luggage had long been unloaded, but still there was no call.
I tried using a buzzer that connected to Menzies in the Arrivals hall - you are only allowed to enter the hall from flight-side - but none of my buzzes was answered.
Eventually I returned to my hotel and explained to Reception that I had unable to collect my bag as promised, and so it would instead be couriered the few hundred yards to the hotel.
Reception promised to call me in my room as soon as the bag arrived.
I did not get a good night's sleep, but on checking my phone at about 05:45 I found a text saying my bag had been delivered to Reception at 23:49.
At least I was able to change into clean clothes after a shower, and, following a quick breakfast, I caught a train into Oslo, where I walked the short distance to the bus station, well in time for the 08:30 bus to Fagernes
There is no ticket office at the bus station, but there were two ticket machines, albeit only one was working.
Unfortunately the machine said the earliest bus on which there was a spare seat was in the evening, and that would not reach my destination until after midnight.
This smacked of something of a disaster, as I knew a taxi would be 500+ euros - I saw one estimate for 614 euros.
Sanity, prevailed, however, as I went on the internet and bought a ticket there, although only after my first card was rejected.
The bus reached Fagernes just over three hours later - in plenty of time for registration, and for the first round today at 17:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment