Friday 30 August 2024

Good News, Bad News

MY Great Western journey from Waterloo to Torquay for the Riviera Fide open, which starts tomorrow, took more than five hours.
But it did not really matter as I had all day to get there, and my hotel room - I am staying somewhere I have not stayed before - turns out to be spacious, with a seaview and what seems to be good wifi.
Looking from one on my windows
The good news is the train delay of 1hr 19mins seems to mean I am entitled to a full refund of my fare.
The bad news is my ticket only cost £11.90 ...

2 comments:

  1. I'd say the bad news is that the delay compensation is limited to the cost of the ticket for the delayed journey and takes no account of the total cost/consequences for the passenger.

    An obvious example is where you're delayed on your outward journey by so long that the journey becomes pointless (e.g. going to a chess match where you arrive so late that you're forfeited), you might get a refund for the outward journey but you get nothing for the return journey if that ran on time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fair point. Delayed-plane compensation, for example, is not limited to the cost of the ticket. On the other hand, getting airlines to cough up is a lot more difficult than with train companies.

      Delete