Monday 27 May 2019

Drowning My Sorrows

THE last two rounds at the Cotswold Congress in Gloucester today just about summed up the trend of my recent (and not-so-recent) performances.
This morning I outplayed a 168, but several times failed to play the killer continuation (despite vaguely considering it), swopped off into a safe plus-over-minus ending (rather than play a much better but much sharper late-middlegame), obtained a massively superior rook-and-pawn ending … and miserably failed to convert it.
This afternoon I lost to a 173 by blundering a piece, albeit in a much-worse position.
In both cases, and in the previous four rounds, I more-or-less completely forgot my pre-tournament resolution to play more solidly.
I finished the tournament with a score of +2=2-2 for an ECF grading performance of 161.8.
My last alcoholic drink was on April 2 - tonight I have had a pint of stout, a pint of dry cider, a pint of dark ale and two glasses of red wine.
Something needs to change.
Addendum: make that three glasses ...

No comments:

Post a Comment