Wednesday 27 December 2023

Alarming

FOR the best part of 30 minutes last night - it might have been longer - an alarm rang in Hotel Galaxy with a recorded announcement in four languages: Polish, English, German and Russian.
The gist of the message was that a "hazard" had been detected, but the room was safe, so stay where you are, do nothing and await "further instructions."
The alarm was played over and over again until it stopped just as suddenly as it began, but without "further instructions."
While the alarm was ringing, I called Reception to try to find out what was going on, but could not understand what I was being told, not least thanks to the loudness of the alarm.
I sent an email: For goodness sake STOP
Later in the evening I received a reply: Dear Sirs,
next time you hear the alarm for your safety we recommend you leave the room.

I answered: But the alarm said the room was safe and that I should do nothing until "further instructions," which never came!
And in turn received: Dear Sir
The alarm was triggered by a third party. After the fire brigade checked the building, it turned out to be false.
Meanwhile, for those thinking of coming here for the world senior team championships in July, I can report my room has a comfortable double-bed (not the common Continental practice of two single mattresses pushed together) and a decent shower, but the wifi fades in and out most annoyingly, especially when trying to watch football.
Early-morning view of the Vistula river from my room
There was a wide choice at breakfast, with OK orange juice but the usual machine coffee.
My favourite, fruit salad, was not available per se, but was easy enough to make.

2 comments:

  1. Good story,at least you not getting bored there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! And the weather has been good so far - cold, but dry and sunny.

      Delete