Thursday 21 December 2023

Benidorm Lessons: Don't Panic

IT is White to play and win in this round-six game.
Black has just played 50...e3
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
I suspect most people would have found the winning 51.Bb5, which is even easier to find when told there is a winning move. Black can reply 51...a4, but 52.Bc4 takes care of that (other moves also win).
But in the heat of battle I allowed myself to be intimidated by the black pieces around my king, and by the threat posed by two widely separated passed pawns.
I can remember thinking I might end up losing the game if I were not careful, and so I bailed out with 51.f8=Q?
After 51...Rxf8 52.Re7 Kxh3 the game was quickly drawn, not least thanks to an inept attempt to win with rook and bishop versus rook.
LESSON: keep a cool head. When up by significant material, there is almost always a win. Unless in time trouble, take as much time as required to find the win. Even if the position happens to be an exception and is not won, taking extra time will still help find the best way to proceed.

No comments:

Post a Comment