Saturday 30 December 2023

Happy (Early) New Year

SHORTLY before the start of yesterday afternoon's round, one of the players came up to my board, wished me Happy New Year and presented me with a book.
I say "one of the players" as I was rather taken by surprise and did not pay proper attention as to whom it was, but I think it was the top seed, Fide master Sergej Shilov.
We played four years ago at Olomouc, when I successfully claimed a draw by threefold repetition in an ending of queen versus queen and pawn. Clearly I must have behaved properly while doing so as there appear to be no hard feelings.
Anyway, the book he gave me is Jerome K Jerome's Three Men In A Boat.
I have the book at home, but what makes this edition something of a collectors' item is that it was published in 1955 by the "Foreign Languages Publishing House" of Moscow.
An English-language edition but published in the Soviet Union
The book has endnotes, also in English, including an explanation that Margate is "a sea-side health resort on the Kent coast," and that the expression "don't look half bad" means "look attractive."
It may come in handy as I have only brought two books for reading material on this trip and I am fair shooting through the first of them, Lewen Weldon's Hard Lying - An Intelligence Officer On The Levantine Shore 1914-19 (much more fun than its title might suggest).

No comments:

Post a Comment