Friday 15 December 2023

How To Get Stronger Overnight

THIS blog is averaging 109 views a day.
The number tends to go up when I am playing a tournament, and falls back afterwards.
Most of those views, I would guess, are from players with a Fide rating under 2000.
All such players will see their strength increase on New Year's Day, or, to be more precise, will see their Fide rating increase.
What is happening is that the international chess federation, commonly known by its French acronym Fide, reckons it has detected deflation in the ratings of players U2000.
On January 1 all such players will get a one-off rise using the formula: (2000 - rating) x 0.4.
My rating is 1743, but I lost 7.2 elo at Benidorm, so I would normally expect my new rating on January 1 (ratings come out monthly) to be 1736.
However, using the anti-deflation formula [2000 - 1736 = 264; 264 x 0-4 = 105.6; 1736 + 105.6 = 1841.6] I will boast a rating of 1842.
And, hey presto!, I am suddenly 'improving' at the pace of a junior. Ain't life grand?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Santa! Let's see how this works out. It seems to me that the 2000 limit seems a bit arbitrary. I am sure there will be players over 2000 who feel they have also been affected by "deflation". On the other hand if someone rarely plays juniors they may be gaining more points than they should. Calling it "deflation" suggests it has affected everyone equally. Still this is a big improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see where everyone's rating is a year from now

      Delete
  2. Is this also the case with national elo,or only for FIDE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is grand 😀👍

    ReplyDelete