Monday 15 July 2024

Planes, Trains & Autobuses

HOTEL guests in Bad Herrenalb receive a pass that gives free travel on local buses and trains.
I used mine yesterday morning to travel about 21 miles by train to Neureut, a suburb on the farside of the city of Karlsruhe.
The route was single-track and quite scenic at first, but soon became double-track and very urban, with quite a lot of it underground.
Having returned to Bad Herrenalb for lunch, I set out by train again in the afternoon, but this time got off at the second stop, Frauenalb-Schielberg, because I had spotted some interesting ruins.
The ruins turned out to be of Frauenalb convent, which dates back to the 1100s but has been much altered over the centuries thanks to the ravages of fire, warfare and conversion into a factory
View from inside
The notice board gives an idea of how Frauenalb looked in more-prosperous times
This nearby statue was erected in 1725 by Frauenalb Abbess Maria Gertrud von Ichtratzheim (apparently the coat of arms at the base is hers)
The ruins are about three miles from Bad Herrenalb, and, as I discovered, there is an easily followed walking trail back into town.
Much of the route goes through managed woodland
But some is sufficiently left alone that it gives a faint idea of how dark the 'true' Black Forest looks
Before reaching town the woodland recedes to give longer views
It is just as well I have the free travel pass as yesterday, less than 24 hours before I was due to leave Bad Herrenalb to catch a plane at Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden airport, Booking.com messaged me to say my booked taxi had been cancelled.
No explanation was given, and no substitution offered, but I have been promised a refund.
And it looks as if this cloud on my holiday has a silver lining as the travel pass will seemingly get me all the way to Baden-Baden, from where I can catch a bus to the airport (despite its name, it is nowhere near Karlsruhe).
It will mean two trains and a bus, and a travel time of between two and three hours, but my flight is not until late afternoon, so all could be working out for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment