Monday 22 July 2024

Lessons From Bad Herrenalb VII

MY round-seven game was completely equal, according to Stockfish16.1 and Dragon1, for most of its duration.
After much manoeuvring, we reached this position, with me to make my 48th move
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
After a fair bit of thought I played 48...Qc2+ and offered a draw, which was accepted.
I took some time because I was considering playing ...Qd4 in the hope White would go wrong.
If I had played the move, what should the outcome have been?
*****
*****
*****
*****
*****
What had caught my attention was a win for Black after 48...Qd4? 49.Qxd4 exd4 50.Ke2 Kf6 51.Kd3? Ke5 and 52...Kxd4.
However I eventually spotted it is White who should win, by playing 51.Kd2 with Kd3 and Kxd4 to come.
LESSON: pawn-endings are in a way the simplest of all endings in that nothing can move more than a square at a time (apart from pawns still in their starting position), but in another way they are the most complicated in that a subtle subtle nuance can turn a win into a loss, which is why players are often warned not to swop off into such an ending unless absolutely certain of the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment