Wednesday 9 June 2021

Crete Expectations

AM making final preparations for flying to Crete to report on and play in the Amateur Chess Organization's 2020 world senior championships, postponed from last year because of covid restrictions.
My flight from Gatwick is early tomorrow, so I will be overnighting at a hotel at the airport.
The tournament is being held at the five-star all-inclusive Fodele beach hotel - not my usual choice of accommodation, to say the least, but it should make for an interesting change.
There are 29 entries split between six rating groups (no one has entered group F), so some sort of consolidation is to be expected.
Running at the same time will be the ACO's postponed 2020 world amateur championship. It has 23 entries.
The events officially start on Friday with welcoming drinks, followed on Saturday morning by the real business of round one.
Greece is on the UK government's amber list, but the Foreign Office is not advising against travel to Crete (nor to four other Greek islands).
Even so, on returning to England I will be required to self-isolate for 10 days as well as taking two covid tests (and one before I fly back).

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Tim. I think you'll enjoy the hotel. Shame there's so few playing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yes, I was slightly worried the chess might get cancelled, but it seems that won't be the case. I'll be interested to see how many players there are for round one.

    ReplyDelete