Sunday 6 June 2021

Healthy Option

MOST people who travel abroad have probably heard of the European Health Insurance Card.
It entitles the holder to health treatment in foreign countries at the same rate as the locals get it, ie free or at least relatively cheap.
Brexit means UK citizens cannot renew such cards; instead they are being replaced by the UK Global Health Insurance Card.
You are told not to apply for a global card until your EHIC is about to expire.
But the trouble with the EHIC is it is printed in such a way that the the ink wears off very easily.
I can just about make out that my EHIC expires on August 24, but I decided last week to apply for a global card anyway.
Yesterday, after returning home from a walk on the North Downs Way, I was pleasantly surprised to find my global card waiting for me.
My UK Global Health Insurance Card
I should not have been surprised - I had missed that you can apply for it as long as your EHIC has under six months to run.
The good news is the printing on the global card is vastly superior to that of the old EHIC, so I can carry it with confidence when I fly to Crete on Thursday for the Amateur Chess Organization's postponed 2020 world senior championships.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck next week. A word on the EHIC. Three years ago in pre-BREXIT times I was in need of hospital care in Crete. I attended Heraklion Hospital with a diagnosis letter from a private GP connected to the Fodele Beach Resort. I paid €100 for that. Anyway I couldn't find my EHIC (it was in my wallet all along) but I had my passport which hospital admin staff seemed to know was all they required. By the way I received excellent care, even if the consultant used me to do some teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Interesting stuff, but the key part may be "pre-BREXIT" ...

    ReplyDelete